Introduction to B.Arch Degree/Architecture:
B.Arch which is also known as Bachelor of Architecture is an undergraduate degree program of five year duration.It covers the systematic, environmental and sociological aspects in the field of architecture.It is a recognized professional course which is registered with Council of Architecture (COA) under an act of parliament. (Architect’s Act 1972).It is considered as one of the most lucrative and attractive career.Architecture seeks students who have a knack for designing buildings and interest in structural and construction aspects.Career in architecture offer a lot of scope and growth to students who want to carve out a career in this innovative field.In this article we will know about various aspects of architecture such as course details, eligibility, admission, colleges, career prospects, entrance exams etc.
Architecture is the field which deals with the designing, planning and construction of buildings, landscapes, interiors, cities and various other structures.From sky touching sky scrappers to single floor humble homes, from old monuments to modern shopping malls, from parking lots to hospital every physical structure we see today is the result of architecture.Every building has its own unique style and design and they all owe this uniqueness to architecture.Even non building structures like canals, dams, bridges, tunnels etc falls under architecture.
Since the ancient times architecture has been one of the most magnificent aspect of works of mankind.Architecture tells the story of a timeline.It brings together art and science to create awe inspiring buildings and structures.Many famous buildings like Taj Mahal, Red Fort, Great wall of China, Burj Khalifa, Sydney Opera house are the gift of architecture to the world.Architecture is about solving problems and understanding the context of the puzzle beyond the defined orders of the society.It is to deliver solutions that fit within the larger whole while creating a greater meaning than sum of individual parts.It is the story of a civilization’s past, present and future.
What does an architect do?
We all need places to live, work, play, study and to do various other tasks.This is where an architect steps in.We need a proper plan of action before doing anything and an architect provides that plan (in an architect’s case that plan is construction of buildings).Architects are professionals who are trained to take on the planning and designing of all type of buildings whether it is a school, college, a sky scrapper, temple or other religious place,hotels, bus and railway stations, offices etc.They undertake both public and private projects and works on both interior and exterior aspects of these structures.Architects combine their knowledge with their creative ideas to build innovative structures and at the same time make sure that these follow the basic principles of design and are both useful and safe.
Designing is not the only part of an architect’s job.An architect has a lot of other tasks at their hand such as:
- To hold meetings with clients to discuss various aspects of project like budget, requirements and objectives.
- To regularly visit the work site in order to check and make sure that the construction work is being done according to the plan.
- They also have to manage construction contracts and legal matters like getting their plan approved from municipal corporation.
- To prepare designs either through drawing on paper or through CAD (Computer Aided Design).
- It’s their job to prepare the specifications of a structure.
- Project management
- They also collaborate with people who are related to their field of work such as civil engineer, interior designer etc.
B.Arch course details :
The Bachelor of Architecture is a five year long undergraduate degree program which consists of 10 semesters.The duration of each semester is approximately about 4-5 months.The course is divided into two phases.The academic curriculum includes theory lessons, studio and practical works.Internship is also provided to the students to make them better equipped for the professional world.Students study different subjects from the fields of engineering, arts and technology and practice of architecture.
Phase one lasts for 3 years.It is mostly theory based during which students learn about the basics of architectural design.They also study about other concepts such as structural design and systems, building materials and sciences, history of architecture, visual arts, building construction technology etc. and use this knowledge to design various buildings.They also learn to give graphic form to their designs through hand drawing and through CAD (computer aided design) by using various software such as 3ds max and Autocad.They also learn in deep about shadows, perspectives, tones and colours, textures, geometry etc.
The duration of phase two is of 2 years.This phase comprises of four semester and also focuses on practical training.It has more to do with practical work.This phase is marked by thesis work, research and seminars.Students are given project work which they do under the guidance of their teachers.They use all the knowledge that they have gained in the previous three years and put it into practical use.
SPECIALIZATONS OF ARCHITECTURE
- Naval Architecture
- Green Architecture
- Theatre Architecture
- Urban Planning
- Museum Architecture
- Landscape Architecture
- Housing Architecture
- Transport Planning
SUBJECTS IN B.Arch
Here are some of the subjects students study while pursuing Bachelor of Architecture.Subjects may differ from college to college but the basic concepts remain same.
- Architectural Design & Detailing
- Building Materials
- Principles of Environmental Design
- Structural & Construction Systems
- History of Built Environment
- Architectural Representation
- Principles of Climatic Design
- Building Services
- Principles of Sustainable Design
- Creative Writing
- Principles of Urban Design
- Contemporary Built Environment
- Principles of Housing & Economics
- Professional Practice & Management
- Interior Design & Detailing
- Advanced Acoustics & Illumination
The eligibility requirement to pursue B.Arch degree
If you are seeking admission in Bachelor of Architecture course then you must meet the following eligibility criteria:
A candidate must have cleared class 12 examination from a recognized board of education with at least 50% marks and should have mathematics as one of the subjects.
One must clear NATA- entrance exam for admission in architecture with a minimum of 40%.All colleges (except IIT and NIIT give admission on the basis of NATA score)
Diploma courses are available for those who don’t want to go for degree course.
Entrance Exams list for admission in architecture
NATA (National Aptitude Tesu in Architecture)
IIT-JEE.( Indian Institute of Technology Joint Entrance Examination)
AIEEE B.Arch (All India Engineering Entrance Examination Bachelor of Architecture)
CEED (Common Entrance Exam for Design)
CET (Common Entrance Test)
Admission procedure in B.Arch/How to become an Architect-Career path
STEP 1– Give entrance test.
STEP 2-Earn a bachelor degree in architecture i.e B.Arch from a recognized college
STEP 3-Get an internship
STEP 4-Get license and become certified
Top Bachelor of Architecture B.Arch Schools/Colleges in India
- Sir J.J.College Of Architecture, Mumbai
- School Of Planning & Architecture, New Delhi
- Indian Institute Of Technology, Kharagpur
- Chandigarh College Of Architecture
- Indian Institute Of Technology, Roorkee
- Rai University Raipura
- Acharya School of Architecture
- Department of Architecture, BIT, Mesra
- Amity School of Architecture and Design
- Chitkara School of Planning and Architecture
- Department of Architecture, NIT Calicut
- Sushant School of Art and Architecture, Gurgaon
- R V School of Architecture, RVCE, Bangalore
- Jadavpur University, Kolkatta
- Anna University
- Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi
- Rizvi College of Architecture, Mumbai
- College of Architecture Vastu Kala Academy, New Delhi
- Apeejay Institute of Technology
- K.R. Mangalam School of Architecture and Planning
- College of Engineering, Thiruvanthapuram
- I.P.S. Academy – School of Architecture
- Padmashree Dr. D.Y. Patil College of Architecture, Pune
- Giani Zail Singh College of Engineering and Technology
- B.M.S. College of Engineering, Banglore
- Jawaharlal Nehru Engineering College (JNEC)
- Punjab Technical University
- College of Architecture, IET Bhaddal
- Faculty of Architecture & Ekistics, JMI, Delhi
- Sinhgad College of Architecture
- IES College of Architecture
- Goa College of Architecture
- Lucknow University, Govt. College of Architecture, Lucknow
- Pune University, Marathwada Mitra Mandal College of Architecture, Pune
What to do after B.Arch- Higher Education
Ph.D. in Architecture
Career Prospects after B.Arch:
Since the world is developing day by day especially a developing nation like India, the need for better infrastructure both residential and commercial keeps on increasing.This means that there are ample amount of job opportunities for aspiring architects.After completing their degree candidates can start their own practice by registering with COA(Council of Architecture).They can also join some architectural firm or work under already established architects.They can also find jobs in real estate, interior design and teaching sectors.
Government sector also has many jobs for architects.Departments such as PWD, Town and Urban Planning boards, Municipal Corporations, railways, Archaeology departments hire architects.
Employment Areas for architects
- National Institutes of Urban Affairs
- National Building Organization.
- Non Government Organisations
- Project initiation on own
- Architecture and Building Development Firms
- Department of Post and Telegraph
- Town and Country Planning Organization
- Private Construction Organizations
- Architectural Engineer
- Building Control Officer
- Architectural Conservator
- Technical assistant
- Architectural Technician
- Architecture Photographer
- Project Assistant Manager
- Interior Architects
- Lighting designers
- Acoustics Consultants
- HVAC Consultants
- Restoration Specialist
- Landscape Architect
- Building Inspector
- Project Supervisor
- Architecture Draftsman
- Data Analyst
- C.P. Kukreja Associates
- Kembhavi Architecture Foundation
- Shilpa Architects
- GM Arch Private Limited
- Sompura Arts
- Architecture Brio
- Christopher Charles Benninger Architects
- N.M. Roof Designers Ltd
- VSA Architect
- Talati & Panthaky Associated
- Oscar & Ponni Architects
- Biplab Talapatra
There is huge demand and less supply of architects in India therefore it offers good salary packages.The salary package may depend on various factors such as the firm one is working for, the project you are dealing with, experience etc.A fresher gets about Rs 10000-20000 per month whereas after 3-4 years of experience this amount gets doubled or even more.Graduates from more reputed colleges can expect higher salaries even at entry level.