The National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET) is an entrance examination for admission to MBBS and BDS courses (except AIIMS and JIPMER). The National Testing Agency (NTA) conducts the exam. In this article, we will talk about the NEET Answer Key – the release date, how to check it, and also about how to challenge it.
NEET Answer Key
As soon as the examination is over, most students are eager to know how they performed. This is where the NEET Answer Key helps. With the help of this key, you can get a rough idea about your performance in the exam. As soon as the exam is over, the NTA releases the question papers, OMRs and Answer Keys online for all NEET paper codes. While most coaching institutions also release their own tentative answer keys, you can get the official one by logging in to the NTA website using your user ID or your registration number and password.
This year, the date of the NEET exam is May 50, 2019. Also, the expected date of the result is June 05, 2019. Further, last year, the official NEET Answer Key was released on May 25, 2019. Therefore, you can expect the answer key to be released around the last week of May this year too. The exact dates have not yet been announced.
Steps to download the NEET Answer Key
In order to download the Official NEET Answer Key, you need to follow these steps:
- Login to the NTA website using your registration number as the user ID and password.
- Once logged in search for NEET 2019 Answer Key for your question paper code and language
Using this answer key, you can check and match the answers. Here are some things that you should keep in mind while checking the answer key:
- Ensure that you have downloaded the Answer Key for the right question paper code.
- Also, make sure that the language is right too.
- There are 180 questions in the NEET exam. Check to see if the answer key has 180 questions. If it is more or less, then there is an error and you must contact NTA.
How to check the NEET Answer Key
You will have the question paper, the answer key, and the OMR sheet or in simple words, your answer sheet.
- Take a look at the first question and see what answer you have chosen.
- Then, check the answer in the Answer Key.
- For every right answer, give yourself 4 marks.
- Also, for every incorrect answer, deduct one mark from the total.
- If you have not attempted a question, then you neither add not subtract any marks.
What if the answer key has a wrong answer?
While this scenario is rare, it is certainly possible. If you think that a certain answer in the Answer Key is wrong, then you can challenge the Key by raising an objection. You need to submit the challenge online through the NTA’s website. For every question that you challenge, you will need to pay a fee of Rs. 1,000. Here are the steps to raise a challenge:
- Log in to the NTA website using your registration number as the user ID and password.
- Select Key Challenges option.
- Ensure that the challenge you are raising is correct. Refer to some books, talk to your professors if you want.
- Select the question to challenge and click submit
- Select the right answer and offer comments or explanation for your challenge
- Confirm your request and pay the fee using a debit or credit card
- Take a print out of the confirmation slip
Remember, the NTA’s decision is final and binding for all challenges. Also, the NTA will consider only those challenges which are submitted within the prescribed timeframe (date not declared yet) and with the fee. If it denies a challenge, then it will not accept any communication in that regard. Also, incomplete or anonymous are not entertained.
Once the examination process and the challenge period is over, the NTA will declare the final result. The result displays the final marks obtained and the All India Rank.
As a medical aspirant, you spend months preparing for the NEET exam. There are lakhs of students vying for a limited number of MBBS and BDS seats in India. In such a scenario, even 1 mark can be the difference between getting through a good college and an average one. Therefore, the Answer Key is important as it allows you to assess your performance in the exam before the results are out. Also, if the board has done a mistake in the Answer Key, then you can challenge it and gain invaluable marks.
We hope that this article helped you understand the process of downloading the NEET Answer Key and detailed out things that you must keep in mind while checking it. With three months left for the exam, we wish you the best of luck and will hopefully see you as a doctor soon. Good Luck!